Saturday, December 6, 2014

Babbling

babble
[bab-uhl]
verb (used with object), babbled, babbling.

4. to utter in an incoherent, foolish, or meaningless fashion.
5. to reveal foolishly or thoughtlessly: to babble a secret.


Why can't I just copy and paste from dictionary.com without having to nuke the formatting?

Oh, well.

I wanted to babble about stuff, if anyone cares. Maybe it's the tone of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy that has me in the mood. (I finally started reading it after years...and years...and years...and even more years of my husband suggesting it.) This is why I have to be careful about what I read while writing--it does affect my style, although less as I mature as a writer, unless I'm purposely trying to mimic something.

See, babbling.

For more, I was thinking about my writing projects. Then I got distracted by the massive formatting glut from copying and pasting from dictionary.com. So, never mind that. It's cleaned up.

Back to what was on my mind...

Is it weird that I can read something I wrote a few years ago and be awed by the ideas? I don't feel like I'm that creative any more, yet I've grown and am able to take those ideas and manipulate them into something even better. But I can't help wondering how I ever came up with some of those ideas. It astounds me some days.

I am truly enjoying rewriting what I have of the first of the Shadow Realm Saga books. I feel a little inadequate, in fact, in continuing it. Maturing is no fun. There's something about writing for pure exploration and abandoning logic and rules that makes it a pure joy. It's hard to describe, but you can see it when you read it--that love of the author for their work. It comes out. It's what I've been recapturing, and I love it.

And I will continue with Nemesis when I feel ready again. I left off around 35,000 words on that, so about a third into it.

Right now, I'm working through what I had written of SR1, tentatively titled Awakening, from a few years ago when I first started it. As of this writing, I'm at the 45,000 word mark on it with about 6K to go to catch up to where I start writing new material.

Enough for the break, I have kids who don't want to get to bed. I had my treadmill walk, so now I can sit down to re/write some more without feeling guilty about my health...once the kids go to sleep.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, sounds like some positive news. Awesome. Can't wait to find out how it all turns out.

    ReplyDelete