Sunday, May 31, 2015

all-natural ranch dressing

This is a recipe I've been developing and think I've finally got down.

It's great for many reasons:

  • All natural ingredients
  • No vinegar (unless you want to add some, then I recommend raw, unprocessed apple cider vinegar)
    • Vinegar is a fermented food. While it's great for a healthy gut flora, it can cause pain and allergy-like symptoms for those who have a mast cell disorder or histamine intolerance due to gut dysbiosis. I had to avoid it until I rebalanced my gut flora.
  • No bovine dairy (regular ranch usually has some form of cow's milk, like buttermilk)
  • And it's very quick, just a minute or two to put together.
 Here's what you'll need for an individual serving on a regular salad:

1-1.5 oz. of Chevre Goat Cheese
1 oz. extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp of chopped red onion
1 chopped clove of fresh garlic

Some goat cheeses are crumbly and some are soft. I find that once it hits the olive oil, the cheese softens. Just mix them together.

I also just cut up the red onion and garlic over my salad and drizzle the rest on top of that.

That's it. The garlic and red onion add kick, the goat cheese adds creaminess, and the EV olive oil adds good fat and a bit of sweetness.

Ranch dressing now tastes too sweet to me and disgusting since I started using this on my salads.

(My other favorite is EV olive oil and a little bit of ACV in my own vinaigrette.)

No comments:

Post a Comment