Wednesday, May 13, 2015

learning how to eat

It's become a way of life for me now--learning how to eat without grain and minding my histamine levels.

One of my favorite dishes is to sautee the following in a cast iron skillet on a medium heat:

4 asparagus, cut up into 1-3 inch pieces
4 quarter-inch slices each of yellow and green zucchini
onion (to taste but not too much for those with SIBO as onion feeds good and bad gut bacteria)
3 oz. of fatty chuck steak (a cheap cut because of all the fat, which is what will help flavor the food and provide satiety) or about 3 oz. of high-fat hamburger
a sprinkle of real sea salt (rich in trace minerals)
drizzle of olive oil (for flavor and to help cook the veggies)

Start with just enough olive oil to coat the bottom of the skillet and turn on the heat while you cut the ingredients. Next, put the beef and onions in the skillet for a few minutes, until the meat starts browning. Then dump in the asparagus and zucchini and sprinkle with the sea salt. (Veggies cook quickly, but I like my onions softer.) Mix regularly until the meat is thoroughly browned (smaller pieces cook through more quickly) and veggies soften.

Total prep time = 5 minutes
Total cook time = 10-15 minutes

It's simple, nutrient dense, and delicious and makes enough to fill a small plate of food. I find that all the fats fill me up so much that I can't finish everything, even starting with an empty stomach. Better yet, I stay full for hours!

Keep in mind, however, that since going grain free due to a gluten intolerance (and soy, dairy, and corn), my daily caloric intake is only about 1000-1200 a day to maintain my weight, so my portions are proportionally smaller than the average person. This is all my body requires now, as long as I'm giving it the nutrients it needs, sometimes supplementing the things I can't get through food (due to histamines or other issues), and I feel great. If I eat more than the size of two of my fists, I feel stuffed and then have histamine symptoms from over-filling myself. A little quercetin helps but it's not a panacea.

No comments:

Post a Comment