Sunday, September 6, 2015

Best toothpaste for health sensitivities

I just had to share this little tidbit from this past week...

I had my quarterly teeth cleaning with a very picky hygienist, but the same I've seen twice now. This most recent visit, she said my gums are better than she's seen them, hardly any inflammation and certainly no tenderness that I noticed from her picking about them.

Since my health problems, I had to drop toothpaste and mouthwash. I shudder to recall the reactions right before giving them up. I'll just say it was not fun. For a while I was using water.

Since my last checkup, however, I decided to make my own toothpaste. My recipe was simple--coconut oil, baking soda, and extract for flavor (but not much since all extracts are alcohol based and can cause a slight reaction in histamines). That's it; pretty simple. Mostly (refined, aka tasteless) coconut oil (a natural polisher and anti-microbial) with a little baking soda added and a drop or two of peppermint extract. For me, once the oil hardened and everything set in a little squeeze bottle from Hobby Lobby, it was good to keep in the bathroom.

It only takes a pea-sized amount, if that, each time I brush and I changed nothing else about my oral hygiene since my previous dental checkup. With this homemade toothpaste, my teeth have always felt smoother, cleaner than with the chemical-laden big brand stuff. And this is safe for kids also. Swallowing it is no big deal since it has no harmful ingredients. In fact, coconut oil is good for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment