Sunday, October 4, 2015

Delicious hot/cold salad

Having learned to live with the taste of real food, not seasonings, and liking quick, nutritionally well-rounded meals, I've come to enjoy certain combinations. It's not easy following an autoimmune diet with its restrictions, but it can be done.

No salad dressing (except a homemade vinaigrette on the good histamine days) is one of those limitations that about kills me. Greens are SO good for us that we should be eating them all the time. However, they're bland and boring...rabbit food, as my hubby calls them. So, I've created some combinations that have helped me to improve my intake of these highly nutritious plants.

This is how I like to get my greens:


It's quick, nutritionally dense and very complete. I'll swap between different types of meat, which vary in B-vitamins (besides being full of minerals), but try to stick with lean ground beef or chicken (seen in the picture).

This should only take about 20 minutes total to prepare in the following steps:

  1. Thaw one chicken breast (in the microwave usually). For convenience sake, I like Nature Raised Farms or Naked Brand chicken. If no thawing is needed, don't worry about this step.
  2. Turn on the stove to a low-medium heat and pour a little olive oil and/or coconut oil into a pan to warm. I like to have a little extra for a sauce on my greens so am liberal with the oil.
  3.  Cut up up some onions and maybe some fresh mushrooms. I have limited choices on mushrooms, so I usually get whole fresh portobellos and cut up the buttons into bite-sized pieces. Throw those in the pan.
  4. Cut up the chicken breast into bite-sized pieces (cooks faster and more convenient than having to cook it later) and throw those in the pan.
  5. Sprinkle on sea salt to taste.
  6. At this stage, I sometimes also add in asaparagus and cut the spears from the tips down into bite-sized (usually about 1 inch) pieces.
  7. Stir together and cover with a lid. Stir it every few minutes. It should take only about 10 minutes to cook once the pan is hot.
  8. While waiting for the hot topping to cook, cut up some romaine lettuce, lettuce greens, kale, spiraled/grated zucchini, and/or spinach. Mix and match however you please or want to experiment. The hot topping bring in all the flavor.
  9. I sometimes also grate carrot for extra sweetness.
Once all is done, enjoy! You can also prepare the hot ingredients the night before and refrigerate them or split them into multiple smaller servings to take with you (separate from the cold ingredients) to reheat for a new meal ready to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment