Friday, October 23, 2015

Molasses Chicken

I just scarfed down a delicious experiment in food.

Before any chefs clobber me, just know that I have learned to enjoy the taste of simple foods. It may be bland to some but it can be delectable once you learn to appreciate the taste of real food.

And it only took about 20 minutes to make. (I don't like long cook times when I'm hungry.)

Here's what I enjoyed:

(makes 2 servings, depending on the size of the chicken breast)

1 large chicken breast thawed (cut up into bite-sized pieces will cook it faster)
Olive oil to coat the pan
1 Tbsp of refined (aka flavorless) coconut oil
*I like to blend oils--olive for a little sweet flavor but coconut because it doesn't burn at higher heats
1/2 cup onion of your preference (white or yellow)
1/2 cup cut mushrooms
sea salt to preference

On medium heat in stovetop pan, cook until chicken is thoroughly done, stirring occasionally so onions become transparent and mushrooms soften.

Then add:

1 Tbsp blackstrap molasses
1/2 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
*these two flavors combine into almost a teriyaki-like flavor, or what I remember of it (soy is out of my diet)

Simmer for about 10 minutes.

When it's finished, I put half in a jar for the next day. The half that I eat, I use as a topping on greens or spiral-cut zucchini.

No comments:

Post a Comment