Saturday, January 23, 2016

The Autoimmune Avalanche

I'm kind of scared. For the last two months, I've been having increasingly worsening health problems that seem to be accelerating. All the symptoms point to low cortisol. I can't say losing weight while being a sloth all day, except when I manage to get into work, isn't nice, but it does get scary once you reach your pre-child weight and continue to lose it. And forget any form of exertion or even a slow walk on the treadmill if you want to breathe. I can't do anything and I'm miserable. I want to be active again, but if I do, I'll pay severely for it. My thyroid is still functioning, although a little less efficiently than six months ago. Nevertheless, it's not that bad. I shouldn't be going through this, despite the increasing goiter and nodules that I feel pressing on my throat.

My chances with one AID to develop more is increased dramatically. It's not the body part but the immune system gone awry. Once it starts, the immune system decides to look for tissues to attack, thinking they're the enemy. It starts with one, but then it expands. From my understanding, the average number of autoimmune diseases (identified by body tissues) that most people with AID have is 5-6.

I'm afraid I may have three, despite the celiac test coming out negative. (I'd been gluten-free for a week, which is a guaranteed negative result; but I had all the symptoms for years.) Then Hashimoto's. Now, I'm afraid I may have Addison's disease. The next step will be to have my doctor run the test for auto-antibodies. But the rapidly decreasing cortisol levels is a sure sign of trouble for me. The air hunger (the feeling of not getting enough oxygen when I take a deep breath) is the most frustrating.

I'm doing all I can to make it through this, but I feel like a prisoner in my own failing body.

No comments:

Post a Comment