I have a pattern that I've followed throughout the writing of the Forgotten Worlds series:
- Write two books ahead of what the next published book will be,
- Go back and edit the next book to publish,
- Read through the two books after #2 (one right after and the one just finished drafting), which works out great because I'm still in editing mode and have had enough of a break to start seeing any major issues,
- Make any rewrites and notes that jump out at me in #3,
- Then write the next book (after catching up and refamiliarizing myself with what has happened between publishing the latest book and finishing the most recent draft)
This has worked out very well throughout this whole long series.
Now that Book 22 is published, I've been rereading Book 23 and seeing some things that needed a lot of work. These last three are difficult, because events are ramping up for the series climax after all the episodes. Each book has its own themes, motifs, and plot that tie into the larger series plot. I'd like to think I'm pulling it off, but you tell me. I'm making it happen according to my vision, at the least.
The series started out with the first five books laying a foundation of the characters, worldbuilding, and overall plot structure. I saw that in planning but even more so in rereading. By book five, there's a clear purpose for the characters and a solid foundation of how things work in the Starfire-verse I've established, although much of that was set ten years earlier with the first Starfire Angels (young adult) book. By book six, I had a clear pattern and the characters of this expansion of the Starfire-verse had their purpose.
Getting back to my point of Book 23, I finally hammered away at the blurb/description and refined it into the main ideas. I also see the final stinger scene issue that I couldn't figure out while writing the first draft. What I had written felt contrived, but it was something, at least a placeholder. In rereading the story after a year away from it, what was needed for the stinger scene to tie in elements from the main plot of this book and leading into the final two books finally came together. I couldn't be more relieved! I also have made some notes of a few minor rewrites for when I'm ready to get into deeper edits, which will be after writing the first draft of Book 25. Before I move onto rereading Book 24, I'll be writing the stinger of Book 23. I want that draft done now rather than later.
That's a bit of a long-winded update, but now you know.
I also need to get a cover up for Book 24.
As for Book 23, here's the description. It may get some tweaks later, but I'm pretty happy with this:
The time for the attacks on the Issan installations is approaching, as is the birth of Nya's baby, and she has two shards left to find. When she and her friends on the Cartegos arrive at one of the last Starfire worlds, they discover more than expected. A colony of Voru lives under a large shield reinforced by a Starfire shard, a shield that protects an ancient record whose truths could shatter the Issan cult; but the Keeper of the shard is dying.
The Issan have been alerted to the location of the shard, and they've come with forces prepared to defeat anyone who stands in their way. Nya can hardly access the knowledge left for that time while in labor, much less defend against the Issan; and a saboteur has weakened the shield. Their options and time are running out…
-------------------
Thanks for reading!
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.