Saturday, January 19, 2019

Writing the next book

I'm back to writing mode. Editing on Books 1 and 2 of Starfire Angels: Forgotten Worlds is done for the latest rounds. They're getting more refined with each pass and as I consider the future of the series.

In writing this series, I've had SO MANY ideas for future books and scenes and setting that I've had to go back to the first two and change a few things so that, while there are hints of what's to come, what direction the series will take, and what the purpose is, it's not specific enough to create a contradiction later. I tend to want to give away what I know now. That may be different to what develops later. I am adjusting for that also in my editing.

Things change as a series grows and develops, which is why I am waiting with releasing the first two books of this series until after I have at least the third written. I've learned that much over the years of writing, and I believe that experience will make this series that much better.

Just as my current horse, Buddy, has benefitted from all my my cumulative years of learning and refining my use of various horse training disciplines and techniques and adjusting to different types of horses and my knowledge of horse healthcare, nutrition, hoofcare, etc., so too does my writing presently benefit from all of my cumulative knowledge of character development, worldbuilding, points of view, series development, working with different lengths of stories, etc. from many years of dedication to the craft. I love a challenge. I've done many different types of stories, just as I've worked with a variety of horse breeds and personalities. Every variation improves my knowledge and hones my skills. What keeps me going is challenging myself and working through problems to find the right solution.

Now, getting older and dealing with life changes presents a set of other challenges that makes everything more difficult, but I'm determined to keep going and to do what it takes.

And as far as this series goes, I am writing it because it is what I want. I've said before that this series was developed to be what the old science fiction television programs were back in the 90's and early 2000's--fun, light, adventurous, and thought-provoking without the graphic sex and gore and grimness of current program styles. I'm writing what I would want to watch as a series, which is why they are shorter books (episodes) than the typical long novel series, one of which could produce a whole season's worth of television (ie Game of Thrones).

I think you'll like what I have to offer in this. The first book, A New Beginning is now available for pre-order from all the major retailers, including Amazon, Apple, Barnes & Noble, and Kobo for the first-in-series price of only $0.99 (USD).

I'll reveal the cover of Book 2, The Rule of Yonder, when that goes up for pre-order. I expect that to be revealed around the end of February with a release date in mid-late May.

No comments:

Post a Comment