Thursday, May 10, 2018

tweet tweet

After seeing what I've missed in the writing community, I made a decision today. I chose to reinvent myself on Twitter. I didn't want to do it, but I was missing out on a lot of conversations about writer issues and couldn't always access links to Tweets from articles on the latest big story. I won't go into details but to say there are some arrogant pricks out there in writersverse who think they can claim common words for themselves and harm their "competition". I've been trying to follow developments of this story, as it presents a dilemma and a slippery slope that should not be touched with a ten-foot pole, and it's hard when so much is on social media. However, this is an important development that affects everyone--writers and readers alike--and I can't afford to not follow it.

So, I put myself back on Twitter to follow writers, writing groups, and those involved in IP law; no more personal use but professional only. I'll share my blog posts, but I'll exercise restraint to avoid getting involved in conversations. I hope that my time off of most social media has helped me to readjust my thinking back to being who I want to be--private. I am hoping to refrain from the snap judgments promoted by social media culture and the narcissism that goes with it. It's bad enough that I continue to share pictures on Instagram. Alas, we're all puppets in this show or cogs in a wheel, however you want to analogize the situation.

My old Twitter account is gone, so I start over, but I'm glad for the fresh start @ma_nilles.

No comments:

Post a Comment