Friday, September 27, 2019

unconventional storytelling

My muse is a mercurial maiden who likes to tease and torment me, but I think she may have finally led me to the best way to start FW #6. At least it seems to be writing itself more easily than the other two starts.

It took three tries at starting for me to realize this was going to be unconventional in its telling but similar to some episodes of the shows I love--a lot of my inspiration for FW comes from science fiction tv I enjoy. I love this series--all of the Starfire Angels--because it's let me flex my writing muscles in all different directions. But this particular branch of it is most interesting. I'm basically putting into prose what I would like to see in visual media. I think I've said that several times before.

This isn't the first book in the series that I've used unconventional techniques to change the way the story is told. I do a little of that in #4, IN DARKNESS, LIGHT. As of this time, you can't read a sample yet, so I can't say much. Describing it and experiencing how well it worked are two different things. I don't think you'd appreciate the technique from me describing it. You'll have to trust me. That's also the book where a new, exciting character joins the group already established.

This latest, however, will fill in some gaps about the Inari and their homeworld that were learned in the original young adult branch of the series, the Dark Angel Chronicles. It's fun to revisit that and bring it into this branch for readers who might not have any interest in a full-on young adult series. Nya's young, although past the young adult stage in this series. She has some life experience under her belt, although she is still a bit naive about some things.

There's so much more to come in this series. As long as I have stories to tell, I will keep writing.


No comments:

Post a Comment